Bratsk , Russian Federation

Live Gallery of Bratsk , Russian Federation
The first Europeans in the area arrived in 1623, intending to collect taxes from the local Buryat population. Permanent settlement began with the construction of an ostrog (fortress) in 1631 at the junction of the Oka and Angara rivers.[Several wooden towers from the 17th-century fort are now exhibited in Kolomenskoye Estate of Moscow.