The city traces its history to 1795, when the British industrialist Charles Gascoigne founded a metal factory there. It was the beginning of an industry that still thrives there today. Luhansk achieved the status of city in 1882. Located in the Donets Basin, Luhansk was developed into an important industrial center of Eastern Europe, particularly a home to the major locomotive-building company Luhanskteplovoz. On November 5, 1935, the city was renamed Voroshilovgrad (Russian: Ворошиловград/Ukrainian: Ворошиловград) in honour of Soviet military commander and politician Kliment Voroshilov. On March 5, 1958, with the call of Khrushchev not to give names of living people to cities, the old name was reinstated.On January 5, 1970, after Voroshilov died, the name was changed again to Voroshilovgrad. Finally, on May 4, 1990, a decree of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR gave the city back its original name. It was occupied by Nazi Germany between 14 July 1942 and 14 February 1943.
Following the Euromaidan events, and as a protest against cancelling the Legislation on languages in Ukraine, the Oblast council of Luhansk Oblast voted to demand giving Russian language the status of second official language, stopping ″persecution of Berkut fighters″, disarming Maidan self-defense units and banning a number of far-right political organizations like Svoboda and UNA-UNSO. For the case the authorities failed to comply with the demands, the Oblast council reserved itself the ″right to ask for help from the brotherly people of the Russian Federation /Wikipedia/