Up until the mid-13th century, the land where the river Kłodawka meets the Warta was the location of a defensive fort established by Piast Poland. In 1249 the Polish Duke Bolesław Rogatka sold Lubusz Land, including the site of present-day Gorzów, to the Margraviate of Brandenburg and the city of Landisberch Nova was founded on the site in 1257. The city was at that time within the borders of the Neumark region of Brandenburg. In the 16th century the city came under Lutheran control, with St. Mary's Cathedral changing its allegiance in 1537.
Gorzow city Official Site